Today after reading Philippians 1:1-11 I was struck by a couple of sections of the text, not to make any of the other verses less potent, but today these verses just really had me sitting and pondering.
Verse 9: And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight.
As I read this at first I was a bit confused. Love can have knowledge and insight? Whenever we think of love I usually am brought to ponder the world's view: falling in love, blind love, love that doesn't have any sort of knowledge or insight, it just happens. I'd like to say that I was surprised to see such a verse, yet I truly should not have been. My bible put it this way: Their love was o result in greater knowledge of Christ and deeper insight. Their love was not based on feelings but on what Christ had done for them. Our love shouldn't be based on feelings, but on the knowledge of Christ's own love for us.
Verse 10: So that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ--to the glory and praise of God.
Within this verse the word best really caught me. Best. not good, not better, but best, My bible suggested that it was comparing right vs. wrong, good vs. bad. But when I looked at the verse I was drawn to the fact that God truly wants what is best for us. Of course He doesn't want bad in our lives, but think about it, is good, good enough? NO! He longs to give us the best! The cream of the crop. He's pressing us all to discern what is best when given a plate of good, better and best.
Always,
S
No comments:
Post a Comment